Melrose Business and Community Association, Inc.
for the benefit of the Community
The Melrose Business and Community Association members work to make this small town a better place to live and raise a family. Some of the past works of the MBA/MBCA have been almost forgotten by the community they serve:
MBCA Home Page | MBCA Calendar | The Melrose Alert
- A new traffic signal was installed to replace the caution light that had blinked at the intersection of State Roads 21 and 26 for many years.
- Several years ago, the MBA brought a circus to town for the enjoyment of our children. It may have been the only one, ever, in the town's history.
- For several years they sponsored the October Arts & Crafts Festival, until construction at the school caused problems in 1995 and the festival was not held.
- In 1989 they organized the first Merry Melrose Christmas Parade and Arts & Crafts Show, which is now an annual event held on the second Saturday of each December.
- Sponsored Home and Business Christmas Decorating Contests in 1990 and 1991.
- Sponsored several "Celebrity Dinners" and auctions to raise money to help the Melrose Youth Sports Association and Melrose Elementary School.
- Organized Neighborhood Crime Watch and held Citizens Against Crime and Business Crime Watch programs.
- Assisted with Melrose Beautification and Clean-Up Weeks.
- The organization has held blood drives, a bi-partisan political fish fry for the community to meet the plitical candidates, and a food drive for Ethiopia.
- Renaissance Fairs were held in 1983 and 1984.
- Following a devastating fire, the organization assisted with an Auction and Fish Fry to help rebuild the Trinity Episcopal Church Parish Hall.
- MBA produced a Business Directory & Shopping Guide for Melrose in 1988-89 and again in 1991-92.
- In 1992, the organization purchased 100 metal folding chairs and presented them to Melrose Elementary School.
- The Melrose Business Association, Inc. was given control of the public area on Melrose Bay and it is now known as Melrose Bay Park
- They have made the park area available for Easter Sunrise Services.
- On September 1, 1996 the MBCA , in cooperation with the Florida Grape Growers Association, sponsored the first annual Melrose Grape Festival.
- MBCA has supported with cash donations or assistance at events for the Melrose Youth Sports Association, Missionaries Bible Purchase, Interlachen Little League, PC Pals Program, Historic Melrose, Melrose Elementary School, and has also given aid to area families in need.
- In 2000, the MBCA placed benches at the Melrose Bay Park with earnings from the Grape Festival.
- The year 2000 also saw our last Grape Festival.
- A Beautification Project for State Road 26 within Melrose (also known as the Old Bellamy Road/ Florida’s First Federal highway) was launched in 2001 with plantings of native plants, shrubs, and trees. We thank all who participated in this project..
- In 2001, the MBCA brought Christmas lights to the Business District through the generosity and support of local businesses.
- MBCA worked with Florida Department of Transportation to get the sidewalk built along SR 21 up to Lakeview Avenue to give children a safe route to school.
- MBCA worked with Florida Department of Transportation to regulate parking on Bellamy Avenue (SR 26) to eliminate the overnight parking of vehicles.
- MBCA and its members supported Historic Melrose, Inc. in the acquisition of the property now known as Melrose Heritage Park.
- Melrose Bay Park, Inc. was chartered March 18, 2003.
- In 2007, MBCA spearheaded a project with the Putnam County Sheriff's Department and the Kangaroo Store at SR 23 & SR 21 to improve security by new lighting and signage.
- In 2008, the MBCA in working with the local sheriff's of Alachua, Bradford, Clay, and Putnam Counties brought to the area a modern concept of "Cops Across Borders" by them executing what is called the "Four Corners Agreement." This gives deupties in the area authority to handle what may come up without a lot of "red tape." This is the first four county agreement in the entire State of Florida.
Melrose Christmas Parade | Members' Directory | E-mail the MBCA
Revised on January 10, 2012